• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

320i Brake Upgrade

mhinsle

1971 BMW 2002 carb

I have a 1981 320is as a parts car. I want to do a big brake upgrade and I read through both posting in the how-to section. My questions:

1.) The 1981 has vented front rotors. Appears stock. I asked a few weeks ago and I was told ony the '77 320 had vented rotors. So I can use the hubs, rotors, bearings from the '81 320?

2.) Rear brakes. After I removed the 36mm nut, the 4 bolts holding the

backing plate the assembly came off. I did not need to use a puller like the how-to section said was needed. Why is that?

3.) On the 320i To seperate the front hubs from the front struts are there any tricks? I tried to remove just the hubs in the car but I couldnt. I remove the entire strut assembly to work on it on the workbench. What is the best way to remove the hubs from the struts?

Thanks in advance for the help. This forum is always helpful when I have a question. Its awesome.

Matthew

San Jose, CA

1.) So I can use the hubs, rotors, bearings from the '81 320?

2.) Rear brakes. After I removed the 36mm nut, the 4 bolts holding the

backing plate the assembly came off. I did not need to use a puller like the how-to section said was needed. Why is that?

3.) On the 320i To seperate the front hubs from the front struts are there any tricks? I tried to remove just the hubs in the car but I couldnt. I remove the entire strut assembly to work on it on the workbench. What is the best way to remove the hubs from the struts?

1. This 320 must have been upgraded by a PO. You can use all of that stuff.

2. You are either really strong, or you lucked out that the assembly came apart so easily.

3. Removing the hubs will be a cake walk looking at your removal of the rear assembly. Pop off the dust cap on the hub, and you'll see the nut w/ cotter pin that you'll have to remove. Also, you have to take off the caliper to get the hub and rotor off. You'll see the hub and rotor are only held together by a centering allen bolt.

'71 colorado 2002

Thanks for the help

1.) Would someone really upgrade the fron brakes to vented from a '77?

Does that mean I really have 77-79 front hubs or 80-83? Is there a part number somewhere on the parts to tell the difference?

3.) I removed the rotor bearings, caliper tie rod end and lower control arm already. I cannot seperate the hub from the strut itself. That is what I need help with.

Thanks again, any help is appreciated.

Matthew Hinsley

San Jose, CA

1971 BMW 2002 carb

Thanks for the help

1.) Would someone really upgrade the fron brakes to vented from a '77?

Does that mean I really have 77-79 front hubs or 80-83? Is there a part number somewhere on the parts to tell the difference?

3.) I removed the rotor bearings, caliper tie rod end and lower control arm already. I cannot seperate the hub from the strut itself. That is what I need help with.

Thanks again, any help is appreciated.

Matthew Hinsley

San Jose, CA

1971 BMW 2002 carb

1) it's impossible to say, but only the '77 320i (and 323i's) came with vented front rotors. I think you can bolt the vented rotor to any of the 320i hubs, but the early hubs have larger bearings than the later hubs. You need the later hubs to fit stock 2002 (non-tii) spindles.

3) I think we have a problem with terminology. The hubs come off VERY easily, once you get the hub nut removed, they should just pretty much flop off. The hubs are bolted to the rotor with a small set screw. Does this help?

Bret