• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clear coat over primer for track car?

GeneinNC

Anyone running clear coat over primer on their track cars? Seems like an inexpensive finish with the clear coat. Perks up the appearance and prevents degradation and absorbtion of oil, etc.

What primer colors might work for this combo?

'68 2002,' 68 1600, '73 2002, '76 2002, '87 325is

'85 535, '89 525

For the clear to stick you have two choices: apply it wet on wet or sand your primer at least with 800-1000 grit. Either way I would try it on an extra fender, the hardener/reducer on the clear may react with the primer and turn the surface of your car into what we call "elephant skin". I have always wondered how that happened, I have seen it on cars, never could figuer out how people achieve that special effect on their paint jobs. Anyway, probably a better alternative is to apply a tintable sealer, it doesn't quite have the shine of clear coat, but it is safer and proven.

Let me know if you decide to go the primer route and ends up working, you never know...

FAQ Member # 91

Technically it is not recommended because of lack of ventilation and being a fire hazard. All those fumes are potentially flamable so: fumes+contaiment+pilot flame= 4th of July. The other problem is overspray, that stuff will get to everything, and it will even drift onto your neighbor's cars. You also need that stuff to ventilate because pretty soon you won't be able to see what you are shooting at!

Contrary to popular believe the primary reason for a paint booth is to contain the overspray while providing adequate ventilation, the special filters trap solids while the volatile stuff escapes. It does prevent dirt from coming in and "ruining" a paint job, but surprisingly, you can shoot a car in an open field and end up with a damn clean job, if the conditions are right. Don't ask me how I know.

Some people get very imaginative at creating a paint booth effect on their garage, but I would just rent a paint booth or pay someone to have it done. I am in Hollister and I would let you shoot it in ours.

FAQ Member # 91