• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

installing oil pump/chain

jakeb

I am installing the oil pump during my rebuild and running into a problem. I can't get the chain over the gear. New everything...with or without a shim i can't get it over.

It is the new style single nut pump.

One thing I am wondering is should I still have the guide pin/boss things where the pump sits down on? If those wern't there it would slide right on.

TIA,

Jake

1985 e28 w/LS1/t56 and a bit more...

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

-Contact me for m42 mounts or e28 ls1 mounts-

www.classicdaily.net

Hmm,

how exactly are you trying to put the chain on??

You should be able to get it on like this. Install the pump, loosen + remove the nut that holds the pump sprocket on the pump (make note of how the washer/sprocket/nut go on- it's a strange arrangement). Put the chain over the pump sprocket, then put the sprocket back on the pump shaft and replace the nut. This should work- if not, there's something else wrong.

Not sure about the guide pin problem, the base of the pump should fit flush against the block when bolted down properly- is it possible that you have 2 of those guide pins stacked on top of each other, preventing it from sitting flush????????

Bret.

yeah that is how I have tried to put it on. The pump is sitting flush to the block.

chain on the gear and on the crank gear and it won't go on the pump shaft. probally 1/8" lower than the shaft

Is there more than one chain? I ordered everything from bav auto at one time. New chain, crank gear, and oil pump

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

www.classicdaily.net

Hmmm, sounds like something is wrong- do you still have the old chain?? If so, count the number of links and compare.

If you loosen the whole oil pump with sprocket attached, then tilt it over enough to install the chain, then tilt it back in place and bolt it down- does that work?????

Bret.

I actually did try and tilt it...no go

I will check the old chain and report back

Jake

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

www.classicdaily.net

Got it!! Tried the tilt method again and it went right on. I guess it just needed a moment to get used to its new surroundings.

Onward I go!!

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

www.classicdaily.net