• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator Swap!

ClayW

I'm swapping to the M10 318i 90 amp alternator (a la Zenon Holtz). I finally procured all the parts and am about to install them. I got the rebuilt alt from eBay (Eagle in CA) and most of the bracketry from Layne Wylie on this board (Thanks!). I did have to buy a new adjustment arm (Bavarian Autosport). I tossed all the used bracketry in my new Simple-Green/Old-Electric-Frying-Pan Parts Cleaner and they cam out nice. I threw a coat of leftover black high-temp paint on the Pivot bracket, though I'll need to take some of it off to ensure good grounding.

Thought some of you might like to see some pics.

Look at the size of this thing!

post-375-13667561763779_thumb.jpg

post-375-13667561765153_thumb.jpg

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

I swapped an older 5 series alternator on my 02. I am in the middle of installing another motor and I remember that the wiring is slightly different.

Do you know what the new wiring process is... If I remember it was not too difficult. I can't remember because I took the motor out a few years ago.

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

Guest Anonymous

Hey, the brackets look great. I wasn't sure if you could use that adjustment arm or not. I just put a 318 alt on my tii powered 320i (which is why I had the brackets I didn't need). Putting it on the tii engine is a bit of work, I machined a new aluminum pulley for it and some spacers to get the pulley lined up right. Its working great, the wiring is very simple. Just a large wire to the starter, a ground wire to the block, and an exciter from the ignition.