• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key Codes

PeterCS

Coded keys are not available anymore...this is what my dealer told me at least...you can still get un-cut key blanks from the dealer however. For the ignition you can find the key code by removing the lower steering column trim. If you look at the underside of the ignition lock assembly without the trim in place there should be a little white sticker that will have the ignition key code on it. These fall off so hope yours is still there. You can find the key code on the door lock (which should be the same as the ignition key code if the door handles haven't been replced) by removing the door handle from the door. If you look on the side that sticks inside the door, you will find the key code etched into the metal. I'm not sure about the trunk. I've never seen a key code printed anywhere for that lock but on the key itself. You can buy a whole new trunk lock assembly with keys brand new still from the dealer. I think it's around $50 or so.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Guest Anonymous

The key code location is correct, the little white stickers are there and usualy readable. HOWEVER, you can still get keys off the old code. A local old school locksmith, that still stocks 02 key blanks, has a code book and can cut them. I have not tried the BMW dealer, however my experence has been that you need to have an old school parts guy at the dealer and knows 02s. All modern cars use the vin number and the idots have to be smart enough to not try and use the vin.

Sam Schultz

LaValle's Import Restorations