• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with my short problem let me explain

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok I have checked everything on the switch end and the fuse box end and everything looks right. Here is the problem the brown wire from my alternator to the voltage regulator( the one at the 3 prone connector at both ends) smokes (melts) only when I turn the car over if I just turn the switch on there is no problems. The lights work, horn ,wiper, fuel pump. Only this damn wire. I traced the wire from one connector to the other one and it is all alone not spliced into anything. Any Ideas .I have the factory manual and the correct wiring diagram.

Rey 74tii with a single smoking wire

Guest Anonymous

the brown wire between the alternator and regulator is the D- circuit, which provides the ground for the solenoid in the regulator that does the regulation.

It sure makes sense that the smoking you observe when cranking the starter is the result of all of that power being consumed by the starter- seeking ground. The normal ground for the block is the braided ground cable from the battery, which should be bolted to the side of the block below the intake manifold.

I suggest you pull the cable where it connects at the block and check for corrosion. Also, check the ground cable connection at the battery itself.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga