• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door lock question

Hello everyone, just purchased a 1974 Tii.  Try to lock it or unlock it but it does not work.  Apologies in advance for the redundancy.  The key turns  better on the unlock position but not a full turn motion on the lock position. Regardless on the movement, the vertical rod does not move up or down.  I have read a few threads and took a chance to remove the panel door.  I removed the door handle, remove the cylinder inside the door handle, lubricate everything, put the mechanism back into the door handle, tried it before reinstalling into the door frame, the latch moved freely.  When putting it back into the door, same thing, does not move as freely and does not lock or unlock.  The metal part where the vertical rod hooks does not move at all.  I tried to pull it up or down it does not budge.  Isn't it supposed to move. I'm supposed to take out the latch  mechanisms on the  side of the door, I only removed the door handle.These are some pictures.  Thank you.

PXL_20240317_220216055.jpg

PXL_20240317_195947987.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

You may have noticed, or not, that you posted in the 1600ti and 2002ti, instead of the general forum, where you could have more replies.

Yes I would remove the mechanism to check what could be wrong: bent parts, stuck in old grease, etc

Pierre

69 02ti

91 318is

Pierre, I appreciate the reply.  I did not notice, thank you for pointing that out.  I was dreading to take out the panel.  I did remove the lock, the latch mechanism, cleaned everything but there was something wrong the latch mechanism that goes up and down.  I bought a used one, replaced it put everything back together and now it is working.  Grateful to 2002faq!  Take care.

• Like 1

Pierre, I appreciate the reply.  I did not notice, thank you for pointing that out.  I was dreading to take out the panel.  I did remove the lock, the latch mechanism, cleaned everything but there was something wrong the latch mechanism that goes up and down.  I bought a used one, replaced it put everything back together and now it is working.  Grateful to 2002faq!  Take care.