• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Gas Tank M6 Square Body Nuts

BMW 1600-2

I'm looking for 4 or 5 of the square body nuts that are press/tacked in the trunk floor to secure the gas tank.  See photos for details.  These are easily knocked out of the floor panel which is what happened at some point in the last 49 years to my car. 

Trying to find these may seem a little ridiculous since they could easily be replaced with a nut and a washer, but there is a safety aspect to their design.  When the car is in a rear-end collision, the body nuts are designed to break free as the trunk panel collapses, thus keeping the tank from rupturing.  At least, in theory, that's what supposed to happen.

I appreciate it if anyone has a parts car or some old sheet-metal that they could knock some out for my project.  Thanks for looking!

20240229_032239638_iOS (1).jpg

20240308_042916740_iOS.jpg

Current: '75 verona 2002Tii Lux “Lecco”

Retired: '67 chamonix 1600-2, '69 tundra 2002ti-ed, '74 chamonix 2002, '75 anthracite 2002

==> Contact me if you need a tii or turbo CSV harness - I make a really accurate repro <==

The dimensions are:

Thread M6x1.0

width at base:  9.3mm

length at base:  13mm

overall height:  5mm

square part:  9.3mmx9.3mm

base height before step:  3mm

Current: '75 verona 2002Tii Lux “Lecco”

Retired: '67 chamonix 1600-2, '69 tundra 2002ti-ed, '74 chamonix 2002, '75 anthracite 2002

==> Contact me if you need a tii or turbo CSV harness - I make a really accurate repro <==