• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beginner looking for car + advice

Alyssa

On 9/29/2023 at 3:10 PM, Alyssa said:

access to friends who worked on bmws

And she has an senior-uncle (me) who got into BMWs 43 years ago, and who has owned 3 2002’s (currently an E9 person). These are one of the simplest cars to work on, are amazingly reliable once sorted out,  great support and parts availability. The downside, IMHO, is safety and comfort (which her parents will advise on). 

Anyway, I just wanted to say that she is a good kid, and isn’t some flake here to yank your chains.  IMHO, what would be cool is a rust free straight roller where she could sort out the hydraulics and cooling system, redo the interior w a kit from World Upholstery, then drop a used M10/5spd with a Weber 32/36 DGEV. The final tally would be well over $10,  it she’d get back every cent and learn a lot. Then she can become my pit crew (vintage racing) !!

(Uncle) John

PS: her father is very handy, so she should have good support at home. 

Edited by bfeng
  • Like 9

On 10/3/2023 at 9:11 PM, Son of Marty said:

That 72 shown looks to me to be very soft (rust) underneath. 

The '72 on Craigslist may have rust, but it looks very complete (good seats, door cards with the unfortunate speaker hole, all the trim, grills, etc.)

Having just finished a restoration on a 72, I can firmly say that I spent more money on seats, door cards, belt trim, knee trim, grills, bumpers, and all related nonsense than I did on a decent MIG/TIG welder and sheet metal from W&N (front fender, floor pans, rockers, A pillar, nose, etc.)

All these cars have rust, but not all the cars have decent seats ($2-4K), door cards ($1K), trim packages ($2-3K), bumpers ($1K), all the misc (seemingly endless $$), etc.

Bottom line: it may be cheaper to get a complete car with a bit of rust (or even a significant amount of rust) but has all the necessary pieces in place.

I would embrace the rust.  Buy a welder and start knocking metal and laying beads.  I live in Colorado, too.  My neighbor took a few welding courses at General Air and loved them.  I also bought my welder at General Air - an excellent company and highly recommended.

WWW.GENERALAIR.COM

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2023 at 11:03 AM, Salamander said:

Alyssa, welcome!

I, too, am female and brand spanking new to auto mechanics.  If you have the will, you will find the way.  This forum is full of knowledge and helpful, new friends.

I purchased my 02 on May 2nd on CL for $5500.  Nowadays, CL can be iffy at best, but if your diligent and patient, you can find a deal.  I would caution you on BAT b/c backend fees will dig into your budget.

I also agree with others RE: rust, and to find a running and driving project.  It's rewarding to work on something and then be able to take it down the block afterward.  My neighbors, the Amazon guy and the mailman have been some of my biggest cheerleaders/encouragers.

And if you need anything; advice, parts, help, motivation... you know where to find us.  : )

-Sally

I appreciate this, thank you so much!