• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brake fluid leaking at front of 5-speed transmission

fjinva

Yes, I am sure it is not tranny fluid or oil.  It is new brake fluid, and the reservoir is going down as I pump the clutch.

I will remove the slave again and make sure it goes in straight.  This is a 5 speed Getrag 245, so there is no way for me to look inside unless I drop the tranny.  It is all inside the bell housing. Not exactly sure how to make sure the push rod fits into the "detent" on the internal clutch fork.  I guess I incorrectly assumed it would end up in the right place as long as I mounted the slave in the hole.  TBD.

fjinva

74 2002tii

The good news is that I now have the exact right combination of socket extensions and u-joints to easily get to both bolts.

1 - 8 inch extender, 1 - u-joint, and a second 8 inch extender, then the 13mm socket. Perfect.

• Like 1

fjinva

74 2002tii

Let us know what the issue is after you investigate! I'm curious now.

When I replaced mine a few weeks ago I basically just lined it up perpendicular and had to slightly push the slave cylinder to the housing and hold it there while I tried and bolted it in. I must've just gotten lucky with the detent placement...

Try to take a picture with your phone in that slave cylinder hole while you're down there

• Thanks 1

'72 Metallic Malaga 2002 with a '73 M10 | Dual Weber DCOE 40s | E21 5spd and LSD | Pertronix II

OK, I will bring this to a close.

Original diagnosis was correct - blown slave cylinder seal.

Error I made - when I installed the slave cylinder, I did not line up the push rod with the indent on the clutch fork.  The result was a broken seal as soon as I tried to engage the clutch with a push rod not engaging the fork and breaking itself at the odd angle.

All fixed - another slave cylinder installed correctly and a bleed.  Happy now.

I have installed quite a few slave cylinders over the years, in many different cars and I never knew you could "miss" the clutch fork. Most of those were not encased inside the bell housing, but still wasn't aware. Old dogs, new tricks...

Thanks very much for all the assists and thoughts. It always seemed so simple, and in the end it was.

Shout out to the Motive pressure bleeder. I used it overtime on this one and it really made it a simple one person job.

• Like 2

fjinva

74 2002tii