• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upgraded 2002 Door Brakes

bimmerdotcom

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
43 minutes ago, Reza Taheri said:

So I bought these but cannot figure out how to install them. It feels like the arm should swing out?

PXL_20240520_034550508.jpg

it's in the closed position in your picture...pull the arm out stick it in the door and bolt in place

Posted (edited)

The PO of my car had spent a lot more on replacements, but they are the old style and the door only opened half way (odd). I thought I'd taken a picture of them in the car before disassembly, but apparently didn't.

Is it possible they were on backwards or reversed?

I'm being lazy asking before I go into my attic to find the parts and try reinstalling, but maybe someone can tell at a glance these are right or wrong.

I might just go ahead and order some of these newer style ones, but maybe this will motivate me to reinstall these to see if they were just oriented wrong.

image.thumb.jpeg.ed07eab3eee3f0ac3e3a88f1a255ba6a.jpeg

Edited by JQ02
added that the doors stops are currently in my attic

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

7 minutes ago, esty said:

it's in the closed position in your picture...pull the arm out stick it in the door and bolt in place

So I can just bend these tabs and swing it out? That was my gut feeling, but the metal is thick and it made me pause. 

1 minute ago, JQ02 said:

The PO of my car had spent a lot more on replacements, but they are the old style and the door only opened half way (odd). I thought I'd taken a picture of them in the car before disassembly, but apparently didn't.

Is it possible they were on backwards or reversed?

I'm being lazy asking before I try reinstalling, but maybe someone can tell at a glance these are right or wrong.

I might just go ahead and order some of these newer style ones, but maybe this will motivate me to reinstall these to see if they were just oriented wrong.

image.thumb.jpeg.ed07eab3eee3f0ac3e3a88f1a255ba6a.jpeg

I have upgraded door brakes on my other car and they are VASTLY superior to the stock style. If I can get these to work I'll report back, they seem stronger than the other upgraded set I bought years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reza Taheri said:

So I can just bend these tabs and swing it out? That was my gut feeling, but the metal is thick and it made me pause. 

No, you need to pull it out to the right. See modified picture below

PXL_20240520_034550508.thumb.jpg.36a7a71dfbd99f3e2d9e0f7981bc75fe.jpg

• Thanks 1