• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Subframe Mod

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all, new to board, had a question/project update. I recently cracked my front subframe after a long drive, the motor came to rest directly on the steering box, felt REALLY bad, but I limped it home. Last weekend I pulled the subframe out of my parts car and welded a small chunk of 1/8" sheet steel to the motor mount arm right where the crack would have formed. I also went round and stitch welded all the seams that were spot welded, and reinforced the radius arm bushing holes. All cleaned up and painted and back on the car it looks great, too bad the dang thing is on the bottom, it's the cleanest thing on the car.

My question was about using the 318i motor vibration shock damper...has anyone mounted one to their '02? I heard somewhere that you could weld mounts to the passenger side motor mount bracket and the other to the framerail right there and mount the damper to absorb the motor harmonics...seems like a good idea, especially with a lumpy cam and stock motor mounts...

Rich