• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edwardo Weber is the cousin of Satan!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I think if your throttles are open too far at idle, the idle port is not working correctly, or not at all. There is a tiny hole right alongside the throttle plate when it is closed. If the plate is open a hair more,it is past the hole, the idle circuit is not working right, as there is not enough vacuum at that point to suck fuel through the port. try closing them as far as you can without sticking shut and see if it will adjust better.

Guest Anonymous

That's one of the things I checked. The spec I was given was 0.002". A piece of 16 pound bond paper (my cheapo gauge) is a little over 0.003". The plates were closing enough so that the paper was being held as I tried to pull it out.

The problem really seems to be that the size of the mains does at least partially determine the idle characteristics. With the monster mains I was using before (185's) and the idle adjustment backed all the way out, the car would still hold a ~900 rpm idle. (and suck enough fuel to flood and die).

Going down to 175 mains seems to have solved the problem. Using something in a 'more' normal range (like 145 mains) makes everything way too lean and the car wouldn't run for crap.

Part of this problem may be that the carb originated at Metric Mechanic. As a matter of practice, they drill a 0.03" hole in each throttle plate.

Right now, it is driving. I have an O2 sensor that I'm going to use to try and understand how rich/lean I really am.

Cheers!

John N.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I think I'm finally getting close to jetting my 40DFAV. It is certain that the Braden book is a help, but things aren't as straight-forward as he claims.

I've found that the size of my mains directly affects my idle, and that if I go too big in the mains, it is impossible to get the idle speed down. I spent the last two days fighting a problem where as the idle RPM dropped, the carb would start pulling gas until it flooded out.

FINALLY I'm close®.

Air Correctors - - 185's

Mains - - - - - - -175's

Idles- - - - - - - 55's

Emulsions- - - - - F2's

9.5:1 pistons/292 cam/Tii exhaust manifold/Tii disti.

Cheers!!!

John N.