• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OIL LIGHT?!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys, question... Not sure what this is all about but my oil light seams to be lighting up after a good run on the highway or after she's all warmed up.. I come off the highway, put my brakes on and along with the drop in rpms (arounf 1000 rpm) it starts to flicker .. with rpms any higher than 1000 it goes out immediately... figuring that there's not enough oil pressure at the lower rpms... but why? oil pump on its last legs? the oil sensor seams to have a good coat of fresh oil all over it. Could it be a faulty sensor? Definitely something to be concerned about by not sure what it might be... any ideas? ps I always check my oil before I run her... so its not that I'm low on my levels.

Roman

Guest Anonymous

I doubt that oil on the outside is shorting the sender. It is either a bad sender, or the engne is on its lat leg. If the all bearings are, this is enough to lower the oil pressure to the point you are running them with a low pressure.

Guest Anonymous

It's definitely a high mileage engine, but there's no knocking to indicate worn bearings... I replaced the connecting rod bearings a couple of years ago as soon as I heard the knock? I'll try replacing the sensor, but I doubt its the problem. The oil light is specific to the rpms.

Guest Anonymous

bmw3-0csl_1v.jpg

purchase a oil pressure test gauge w/ adapter fittings, remove the low-pressure warning switch, screw in the test gauge , and test cold start - thru full hot .

Cold pressure = 85 - 120 psi , full hot at idle 18-40 psi depending on motor condition. Leave the gauge on and retest after oil AND filter change.

IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO CONFIRM ANY WEAR OR PENDING FAILURE.

WHEN WAS THE LAST OIL CAHNGE ?

IF the car runs rich, or short drives , never fully heating the oil, the oil maybe deluted, causing the pressure drop.

Change the oil and only use 20/50 - oil of your choice and new filter, GERMAN or BMW #059 filter.

Guest Anonymous

about 7.5 psi; VDO gauge with warning light terminal is set at 1 atmosphere (14.7 psi). If the former, you've got either a really low idle (less than 500 rpm) or reallly low oil pressure. Try temporarily hooking up a mechanical gauge where the sender goes and see what the pressure really is.

If the latter, 15 psi on a hot, worn engine at idle isn't necessarily fatal--mine's been doing it for 3-4 years with no problems. Of course it goes out above 1000 rpm, and the gauge shows plenty of pressure at speed.

Hope it's the latter....

Mike