• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer accuracy over 100mph???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So say in theory I had an '02 with an M20 and a 323i 5 speed. If I were "in theory" to hit the pin at the 0 mph mark on the speedo from the other side, how fast would that be? any clue? Anyone ever done this? I want to know how fast I "could" go.

Curtis

'72 Inka M20

Guest Anonymous

We all know that our speedometers vary from car to car, setup to setup on how accurate they may or may not be... There's a thread below about RPM based calculations, which are possible if you measure your tire diameter, and understand your tranny and rear-end ratios...

If you're going that fast, you'd better be on the track!!!

------------

BigDog

'76 2002

Guest Anonymous

Just kidding. But it is possible to install a trigger wheel on the differential flange and use an electronic speedo.

Guest Anonymous

chilibox.jpg

i am assuming you dont *just* have a stock m20... 180-190hp? and then the tall five speed gearing (.81:1 i think) and m20 torque... youre up there man ;)

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

I think someone figured it out to be like 129.6 mph or something like that, it was hitting the stop! -Reid

Guest Anonymous

I have experienced a weird thing with my 02 at 120+mph, i was hitting the rev limiter on my ex efi set up at 6250rpm precisely (ford eeciv brain), with a 3.64:1 dif and 320i 5 pseed overdrive and some old 185 70 13 tires...do the math, i was going fast as hell. The steering started to feel loosy, almost like if the front of the car was raising up of the ground...so backed of, and changed my shorts promptly.

I never tried the car again at more than 100mph, too much frightening.

Pat Allen

Guest Anonymous

110mph_resized.jpg

URL: http://www.seamsperfect.ca

I routinely hammer my 76 to the north side of 160km/h, and it is ROCK solid, and gets even better with each km/h faster. Not sure where it would finally run out of aerodynamics, but I'd be more than happy to find out. Just last weekend I had Jay's Sahara at an indicated 120mph in a couple spots, and it also felt great.

Al

2004_0514_191918AA.JPG

Guest Anonymous

110mph_resized.jpg

URL: http://www.seamsperfect.ca

The picture above is my 76 (with old MPH speedo), and the bottom pic is Jay's 71, taken last weekend. Mine is a 76 with 4 speed, and 3.90, Jay's is a 5 speed with 3.90.

I was the driver of both cars, but I only took the above pic. Anita captured the bottom one.

Al

2004_0514_191918AA.JPG

Guest Anonymous

but my near stock 74 with a 4spd and 3.64 will pull right to an indicated speed of 110mph and it feels perfectly stable and fine at that speed. Steering is nice and tight and the car hugs the road nicely. Can't seem to figure out why it won't go faster.. I've still got a few hundred more rpm :)

I'm assuming an M20 with a 5spd and 3.64 would be able to push the car right to about 130mph (much like turbo) I'm assuming at these speeds that the aerodynamics start to slow the car down considerably!

"almost as aerodynamic as the crate it was shipped in"

Guest Anonymous

Hit 200km/h down front straight of Eastern Creek in Sydney, Australia in our touring. Felt fine. until it spun 2 bearings. Is nearing completion tho!

Guest Anonymous

m3.jpg

Especially with cross winds, I can feel less interference when I'm in the M3, whereas the 02 feels like it is getting tossed around a bit.

For low speed stuff, the aero crap is just that.

And added weight to boot.