• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting from Crane Fireball to 123 with blue coil

jmr_1602

There is a ton of info on ignition wiring on the FAQ and I am second guessing myself. So, I just want to confirm my understanding.

First here is my current set up.
- 1970 6 fuse car.
- Crane Fireball with a ballast resistor.
- Starter Relay

I will be switching to a 123 Bluetooth distributor with a blue coil. I know I don’t need the ballast resistor with the blue coil, and I want to get rid of the starter relay while I am at it.

From what I understand, I need to run my green ignition wire to the positive post on the coil and the tachometer wire to the negative post.

For the starter relay I can toss it all out and remove the red and black wires from the starter.

So, is my logic correct? I’ve read that the starter relay isn’t needed. Thanks for any help!

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

You have it right. Red wire from the 123 to the coil positive, black wire to the coil negative with the existing black wire that goes to the tacho and old connector at the condenser on the distributor. Tape this  distributor connector up and stash in the wiring bundle along the firewall. Blue wire to ground (this can be under the coil bracket screw). 

• Like 2

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/