• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the current thoughts on exhaust? I have no smog res

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My new 02 is pretty much all stock from cali, so its got all the smog equipment. My plan is to sell off most of the restrictive smog parts and replace for a cheap simple set up. I'd like to go with another lynx sidedraft set up with a 45DCOE on the front side, but I'm not sure what exhaust would match up best. The Tii exhaust manifold is supposed to be pretty nice right? But will it be as good as a cheap set of headers? I dont want to drop $500 into some SS set up though... just looking for something cheap thats not going to be too restrictive.

Also I DONT want any rice sounds. But what exactly causes the rice sound? I always thought it was glass packs and strait pipes that caused it, but I see here and a lot of other places people running glass packs and pipes and claim to have a very different sound. I'm looking for something fairly quite, but like I said I dont want anything that will hold me back. I plan on running it fairly stock for a while aside from the new intake parts.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

performance,backpressure,and sound that i have had "civilains" ( non 2002 geeks) come up to me and ask "who works on my engine?" because they like the sound of the exhaust at idle,or low rpm in parking lots. I had to add an extra pac for the noise gun at Laguna Seca: 95 db @ 50 feet during non race events. One pac was fun, but rather "aggressive" and it shook apart the system periodically. However, it never sounded "tinny" like the fake crap on imports that add nothing to performance. The tii ex. manifold will work well for your system,as described. It is roughly equal to street Stahls.Most people will tell you to stick with a stock tii exhaust system- 2002s were called the "whispering bombs" at the time, because of their relatively quiet exhaust for the performance. If you want pics of the custom exhaust under my Sahara - let me know. I have a few posts on the Boards now that show parts of the system, in answers to other questions. Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

If you are looking at a new Stahl or similar header vs. a tii manifold, the latter will be about 85% of the performance, significantly cheaper, and less noise. But, you can get used headers on ebay and other places that even out the price difference. The noise difference is not significant in my opinion. ANother header consideration is that they may crack, whereas tii manifolds don't.

BTW, unless you're doing the innerds of the motor, 40 DCOEs are more than sufficient. And even if you go with 9.5 pistons and a 292 cam, 40s will be fine for the street. With this type of motor, either the header or tii manifold will work, the latter squeezing out a few more ponies.

Guest Anonymous

I'd like to see some pictures of your exhaust. I'm getting ready to fabricate an exhaust, so pictures would be quite helpful.

Thanks,

Rob.

Guest Anonymous

panviewsmall.jpg

URL: http://www.winnsecurity.com/norcal02

Dude..manifolds crack. They're just shitty casts. Maybe when they crack they dont sound as bad as when headers do, but they definately do crack. This is a Tii manifold that I got as one of the many parts in my (freebie) white car:

All 3 of these are all the way through. There are more but I cannot tell if they're through or not.

junk.jpg

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

so here goes:(i have taken digital pics of just about every inch of both cars'undersides for reference and proof of condition: please excuse the blow-back in the Sahara shots- most of the shots were pre-new engine and done without a "shoot clean-up". The sequence is just from the engine( headers) back ....here are the Stahl headers on the engine( new engine)...standard.jpg....header collection point....standard.jpg....headers to flange/coupled to mesh pipe section beginning.....standard.jpg......another view of that connection....standard.jpg....and back to pipe...standard.jpg....to glas pac....standard.jpg......standard.jpg.....to pipe and another pac....standard.jpg.....aft pac...standard.jpg....and out to tip...standard.jpg....here are 2 other views of the under/over angles at rear end....standard.jpg.....standard.jpg...hope this helps. The only unique thing I came up with was the 12 inch mesh section: normal 2002 engine twist was causing cracks at welds and was wreaking havoc with mounts. So, the mesh eliminates a lot of the motion transfer to parts aft of the section. I have had to "create" some different mounts due to soft metal. you can see that in the pics. This system has stayed solid and together for over 2 years now- which is good compared to my previous 1 pac system that was in for a repair every few months. Yhe mesh section cost me around 200 bucks alone. The rest is pretty cheap: pacs wear out but are easy to cut out and replace.