• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll of sorts: high-beam flashing.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Apparently, there is a lot of variation around the country about what flashing your high beams means. Around here, it's generally either your high beams are blinding me you FIB, or there's a cop up ahead. I'm curious as to what else it means?

-Patrick

Guest Anonymous

I flash my high beams when an oncoming vehicle has left theirs on. Just a quick, curteous flash to remind them. (my driving lights could be considered deadly weapons otherwise...)

The only other time I flash my high beams is when I'm behind slower moving traffic that is blatantly not adhering to the "Slower Traffic Keep Right" discipline, and only then when there are obviously safe turnouts or passing lanes for them to utilize. Again, short curteous flashes only.

The best moments in life are when you are flying at pace and flash a car about a 1/2 mile ahead and they know what the you mean and get out of the way...

what's FIB? (I have a general idea but had to ask...)

-s

Guest Anonymous

horn when approaching an intersection where you have the right-of-way but you don't trust the bastards in oncoming/side-road traffic waiting to turn left or right in front of you and crash you. A quick four or five flashes to let 'em know you're there.

Guest Anonymous

...it means get the hell over cause I got the cruise

on...if I hit the brakes my daughter will wake up and

have to pee.

Brent

Arkansas Autoba

Guest Anonymous

A quick flash by you at a one lane bridge means for the car on the opposite side to go ahead.

Many quick flashes at the driver ahead of you that just pulled in front of you but is only either accellerating really slow or has decided to cruise along 15 mph below the speed of the traffic. Usually followed by you slamming on the brakes and laying on the horn.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

to say hi to, when i use flashed brights for oncoming i am telling them thier lights are not on at night, or if desolate, that a cop is waiting for them ahead. Flash from behind: (only unleash the 100s when i really am fed up), or like the others- from 1/2 mile away to let them know a "fast mover" is on the way, kindly move aside for a second, thank you( hard to remove brick from gas pedal).

Guest Anonymous

i.e., there's a hidden wreck/stopped traffic/dead deer coming up for oncoming traffic. Most people probably would take flashed lights to mean "cop ahead," but it has the desired effect -- slowing them down and getting them alert.

-Dave

Colorado '71