• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

starter probs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey y'all

So, the 1600 developed a few bugs. I tried to start, and the starter "ticked", but didn't crank. I checked the battery, noticed it was low.. long story short- I ended up replacing it- only to find that the starter still "ticks" but doesn't crank- its just the relay or somthing making that sound, and the starter is dead right?

Guest Anonymous

Really, it sounds like the solinoid is stuck. Take a piece of 2x4 and place it on the littel cylinder on top of the starter. Give it a good whack with the hammer. It really works(sometimes). If it doesnt work It is most likely goning to need replacing.

Good luck

Andy

Guest Anonymous

It has happened to me before that the starter doesn't have a good enough connection to actually do anything. The starter draws like 300 amps (a helluva lot of electricity... a friend tested his starter with an ammeter) and if connections are bad, it will just click and act like a short but not actually spin. This problem had me stumped for a while, because I could remove the starter from the engine and it would spin fine, but it wouldn't do anything while in the car. Cleaning the contacts fixed the problem.

If Ratt's 2x4 trick doesn't work then take some steel wool or fine sandpaper to the connections and make sure they're still good.