• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 auto--seatbelt interlock relay

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I need a sure fire bypass.My system interacts with my ignition and results in zero cranking. The strter can be jumped remotely--no problem.The interior is out and i've jumped everything to no avail. I pressed on and found a weird round relay up and under by my ignition switch-----i tried to splice the 2 biggest wires and chuck the relay but that didn't do it. I had the shifter out so i bypassed the safety swich wires located opposite the reverse lights on the tranny front

Guess what?? NOTHING YET!---There is no diagram available on earth.To complicate things the car has not atrted in 9 years but did crank prior to my interior removal (rust check) I should be able to solve this but it may take a response from someone who has lived thru this and has an answer.I want to get it inside before i rally lose interest-----tia --Brent

Guest Anonymous

If I rember right it was a square relay about the size of a deck of cards with about 6 to 8 wires running to it on the firewall just to the right of the steering column and I jumped the 2 largest wires togeather..

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Marty---but i think the rectangular box is by your left foot----i can establish power (#30) and starter (#50) and i jumped these---nothing!--I then found another relay for ingnition lockout---it was round if i recall and had 2 primary wires--one black which was power always from ignition and a larger striped wire that i really could not trace when it came off the relay---there were also 2 incidental wires from the relay-----I connected the 2 large ( i blieve the relay marked them as 50 & 80?? but that's from memory) and tossed the relay---nothing!!! what the hell has happened since i pulled the interior out?? I'm going to be pulling a Caddyshack and cut every wire to chase down these gremlins--------Brent

Guest Anonymous

Well Brent it sounds like you bypassed the interlock and neutral saftey switch/relay it should start. Looks like you'll need to get a meter or test light and trace the power from the ignition switch thru every thing to the starter something must be open in there, Sorry....Marty...

Guest Anonymous

up inside the steering column housing and has two wires, that's just the "key in the ignition" squealer. I would suspect that the neutral switch and the seat belt interlock relay are two different items, since only the USA cars had the seat belt interlock, but all cars had the neutral saftety switch. Most of the USA-only stuff was kinda grafted on to the cars by the factory--separate wiring harnesses etc.

Cheers

Mike

Mike