• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: Emmissions question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I took my 633CSi to get tested to day and it failed because to many Hydrocarbons. The car has been running a little rough and I think it might be the 02 sensor, what do you all think. Also would some new plugs help it out.

Thanks,

Leif

Guest Anonymous

Replace the 02 sensor, plugs and air filter. Make sure the crankcase breather isn't plugged up, and check very carefully for vacuum leaks between the air mass sensor (assuming you have L-Jet) and the motor, including leaks in the breather hoses. Also make sure car is up to temp when you test it.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

In november, 2003, i just barely passed the Smog II test, hydrocarbons particularly, with a chipped S-14 engine. I was 4 "units" under fail! Make sure your car is really hot right before you get on the wheels- i know it is tricky to do with the waiting lines, etc- but you may just have to wait in the car, revving it. I would also talk to them and have them do the visual after the gas/wheel run: so you can go directly onto the wheels for your run test. Certainly throw new plugs in, maybe throw some hotter plugs at it to get a better burn- you dont have to live with any of the changes- they are done just to pass the test. It would be ideal if you can also find a friend with a machine( your regular mechanic if you have one) to do some pretesting. You might also need to replace the sensor. I dont know cost on those items, but they are probably worth it to get a pass on your car. Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

I put a bit of octane booster in the gas tank, could this have a negative effect? Also, In GA you get one free retest if you fail and the guy that runs the shop told me I can have as many practice tests to make sure it will pass before I take the real retest.

Thanks for your help,

Leif

Guest Anonymous

Also adjust your valves. This is critical to having the car running properly, whether for an emissions test or not. Check your ignition timing and adjust as necessary as well.

Guest Anonymous

If the CAT is not working or not hot enough, your HC#s will go up.

Do a full tune up-cap, rotor, plugs, wires(if you don't know how old they are), and then get the CO set.

Make sure the CAT is real hot.