• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just rebuilt head, but still getting water out of breather!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just rebuilt my head in my 71 because of a blown headgasket. Water was in the oil. The head had a lot of pitting from corrosion and the valves were worn so I had it welded and new larger 46mm valves installed. I p&p'd it and cleaned everything. I just got it running today and after a couple 45 minuite drives on the freeway, I'm STILL getting drops of water shooting out of the breather tube and into the carb :(

I'm thinking maybe a lot of water got into the oil system when I pulled the head, and then because it was sitting with the head off for 1 month that it got a lot of condensation in the motor. Maybe.

I'll change the oil in a few days and see if that is the problem, i sure hope so.

Otherwise all I can think of is a cracked block, does anyone else know how common that is with these motors?

Guest Anonymous

the head surfaced, right? Most likely is that you have some residual moisture in your oil passages and that you're still getting it out (by driving and getting your oil nice and warm). The baffle on the oil cover can also hold moisture. If you haven't changed your oil, it would certainly wouldn't hurt things. Otherwise wait a while and the moisture will go away.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

if you didn't change the oil and filter when you did the head repair do it right away. You might have water in the oil and also antifreeze. When you warm up the engine the water will boil off but the antifreeze will form gunk on all the metal surfaces in the engine and you will end up ruining the whole think.