• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What cylinderhead did I just buy and what chamber volume?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've bought a cylinderhead with holes for fuel injectors (they

weren't open yet when I bought the head). It has an '80' mark

and says 1.8i, but I only know e12, 121, etc. What head is this

and what should the chamber volume be?

Thanks,

Hugo

Guest Anonymous

18i_plugFI.jpg

The head is known as 1.8i & has 63 cc chambers.

In the USA, this came on the E21 3 series cars.

I like using the head, but for carbs it's best to plug the injectors in a manner that leaves the port wall flush.

Guest Anonymous

BEAUTIFUL WORK - I LIKE THE ROLL PIN TO MAKE

SURE THE PLUG DOES NOT MOVE .

I HAVE A 1.8i HEAD WITHOUT THE INJECTOR PORTS , IT

CAME FROM A 318i . I THINK THE ONES WITH THE PORTS

CAME ON LATE 320i E21 CARS .

Guest Anonymous

It has no injector holes and has (if I remember) same volume as the head from the e21. Not having injector holes to plug means less work to do.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

larger combustion chambers, to bring total compression down a bit for crappy ca. gas. also, they tend to have less plug thread damage, and they are younger than the typical M10 heads, therefore usually cleaner internally: not need to change plugs as often on those engines. here is a picture of mine: 1985:.....standard.jpg......standard.jpg...... ( this is from MM for the 2.2L engine)

Guest Anonymous

This head was bought new back when they were current production, predating the E30 by a year or so. At the time, it was the best way to achieve what I wanted. It was fresh out of the box then bored out to accept a big journal Schrick & a few other tricks for my 10.5:1 1976 M10.

When the E30 318 head became availabe later on, it came with a higher list price. They remained over $200 more expensive for aftersales when both models ended production.

Of course, either one can be had used, and that's probably the way to go for experimenting!

Guest Anonymous

The injector bungs are already the right size and shape, and you get the fuel rail and a place to mount your fuel pressure regulator (its also very easy to find different pressure regulators).

Cheers!

John N