• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

distributor swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

my vacuum advance distributor is trying to take a dirt nap, so I'm going to replace it with a tii centrifugal advance unit. The question is can I just swap out my pertronix unit into the new distributor, or will I have to get a new pertronix??

Guest Anonymous

Pertronix can be swapped into the Tii distributor but wait, there is way more. The Tii dizzy has less advance as the Tii motors have a higher compression ratio than a regular 2002 motor. By swapping dizzies, and unless your 02 motor has higher compresion, you will loose on performance as your motor will not get enough spark advance. And if you advance the dizzy to the regular 02 advance at high RPM, then it will have way too much advance at idle, rendering it pretty lumpy. People think that installing a Tii dizzy is an upgrade. It is not. It is only more suitable for motors built with higher compression.

Guest Anonymous

the thing is missing pretty bad at idle and partial throttle. I fear that it may have so much play now as to be a bad idea to rebuild. is there a non-vacuum advance unit with similar advance curve? I did a quick search of all the usual suspects and couldnt even find the vacuum advance unit....

thanks

Guest Anonymous

Which distributor do you have now? I think the one you want is a vacuum retard type, from the later cars, with the vacuum module left unused.

Guest Anonymous

Chris,

What are the numbers on your old dizzy? I'm certain you can find an equivalent, or have one matched to the correct curve.

Guest Anonymous

caused by the Distributor ... i.e. the shaft moves side-to-side manually?

The vacuum advance dizzy is best for a non-tii car. New ones aren't available anymore so you have to find a replacement that is in good shape.

Guest Anonymous

Maximum advance and point of occurance are adjustable. They also can come with vacuum advance/retard. Prices are around $250.

Guest Anonymous

I have a Mallory 320i distributor (rotates backwards), I'll write down the part number next time I look at it. Before I bought it, I called a Mallory distributor shop (distributor distributor?) and described what I wanted, it wouldn't be a big deal to have one put together. They still make the right size body, it goes in VWs, MGs, etc.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

My distributor has a vacuum advance off a different model and it put together with diffeent parts so I am following this closely. I put in 9.7 pistons, oleft the head and cam alone. If I change distributors would that benefit me?