• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Woes

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello the Board,

The heater in my 74 has decided to take the winter off, which wouldn't really be a problem here in the Bay Area were it not for all this rain we've been getting. I need that defrost more than ever.

The troubleshooting for the heater in my Haynes manual is literally on the last page of the main text, and the editors seem to have run out of petrol at this point and headed up the pub. If it's the fan motor, shouldn't I be getting 12v at its terminals with the dash switch on high? And if it's the switch, shouldn't I be able to get the fan motor to spin on high with a jumper from the battery to these same terminals? I've tried both of these and nothing's doing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Happy New Year,

Scott Matthews

Guest Anonymous

The fan motor may be worn out. Mine does not

work all the time but if I move the fan blades

some it will start. I think the fan is a pain to

replace. The dash needs to come out?

Guest Anonymous

First, check all of your wires. There are a few under the dash. See if you are getting any flow to the box's wires. Sand your leads. Test the motor by pulling all wires and connecting your battery charger directly to the back of the motor leads. (Disconnect all wires from the bottom of the box before doing this. Just in case) This will tell you if it is the motor.

Sometimes getting some oil on them help. Get a a can of 3 in 1 oil. They have extendable spouts and are small. Penetrating oil works also. Lube the motor without taking it out.

I have three heater boxes but only two working motors right now. I may get the 3rd working. I will have extra parts when I am done. Should be by the end of this week that I will know what's left if you need anything