• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NY1 know the bearing number (not the BMW part #) for the...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

This is on roadfly somewhere, but I saved it as I do a number of John A's and other informative posts...

Two different pilot bearing sizes were used.

The early type were a larger ball bearing style, and then BMW went to a much smaller OD needle bearing type.

The reason for the change was to allow removal of the transmission if/when the trans input shaft was seized in the pilot bearing. The smaller needle type bearing could pass right through the splined hub of the clutch. Prior to that, if the trans input shaft was stuck on the bigger pilot bearing, you were screwed & could not easily remove the trans.

The crank you have determines what size you need. If you have the larger bore on the crank, you can get the OE BMW part or use a double sealed aftermarket bearing 6201-2RS. If you have the small bore, the OE BMW part is an open sleeveless needle bearing (input shaft rides direct on the needles), or get aftermarket brand Consolidated #HK 1516 & IR 12-15-16.5 which provides an inner sleeve. (thanks to Dan Patzer).

Talk to your local bearing house!

// John

Guest Anonymous

ball bearings as OEM, which last longer anyway. I think the hole in the crankshaft is the same size, but the needle bearing is fitted using a spacer...

A 6201 bearing should be easily obtainable from a bearing shop.

Cheers & thanx again

Mike