• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

headlight upgrade ideas?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Has anyone upgraded their headlights to HID or Xenon? Are there

appropriately sized lamps? What do you have to do to the wiring

and fuses? I read that there is no fuse for the headlights on the

roundies like I have. Input appreciated

Guest Anonymous

I have had the best success with Hella H4s with enhanced bulbs (like 170 watts for High beams). But first you need to set up relays and fused connections from the battery. I have done this for all of my older cars.. and I expect to do it soon for my new to me 73 2002. Bosch makes a double relay that you can use for this. I got a pair of those, two fuse holders, and a few lengths of 12 gauge wire. The rest should be easy. Wiring is a simple matter of some crimp on connections and squinting at the wiring diagram on the relays. Relays are important so you don't draw all that current through the switch or the potentially old connectors and wiring. The light you get will be bright white and efficient.. Please get in touch if you are interested and I can document the procedure when I do it in a few weeks.

Guest Anonymous

... If you would be willing to post or e-mail the procedure that

would be absolutely great. I haven't done any electrical work on

cars previously, but am trying to screw up the courage to replace

and upgrade the electricals on my '69 2002, including the

headlights, which I find hopelessly dim for high speeds at night.

My e-mail is frmd@amigo.net

Guest Anonymous

This is a simple procedure.. and several people have done a great job documenting it with diagrams.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/headlight-simple.htm

contains good diagrams and descriptions.

Here is another alternative to read as well

http://www.autooptiks.com/relay.html

I will also document my work with photos for you all.. but all you need is contained in the above links. Good luck and have a happy night driving experience!

--tcb

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

the site lays out the procedure, the parts, and a schematic. It was written for a mercedes, i think, but that does not matter. the relay is generic. You can buy premade H4 relays from Painless Wiring, that are plug and play. They are expensive compared to the materials costs and the self labor. BUT, you know they are correct and are constructed with highest grade components.