• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recaro seat Question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have been searching the site for the conversion process on these and only found ones from a 320. I have a set from an '89 325is, found them yesterday ($56 @ the yard-excellent shape) How is the best, cheapest and easiest way to get these mounted in a '69 '02?

Guest Anonymous

I got a pair of brackets from Phaedrus in San Francisco for $75 each. they bolt between the existing slider bracket and the recaro. I don't have the details on contacting them, but if you email me I'll find them. Yahoo yellow pages would do you just as well though. ask for Spencer.

The brackets would be really easy to make on your own as well...

pete

Guest Anonymous

These are really nice seats but...

They will sit up too high if mounted onto the existing set up. You actually need to cut away the base that the current seats are mounted to and make spacers to hold them off of the floor. I used 1 1/2" square steel in the back and 1 1/4 " in the front.

Also you will not be able to center them perfectly. They will have to be off by 1/2 to 3/4 inch from center. Not really bad but definitely noticeable.

A lot of work an butchery but really appreciate them on long road trips.

F

Guest Anonymous

I did this today, fabricating and mounting to the current supports. Definately too high as you stated. Is it possible for you to take some photos and email them to me. I am looking to see what you have done. From what you have said, it sounds fairly easy, but I would like to get a visual. Of course, any additional details you can supply would be great. Go ahean and email me. Thanks

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

Kevin knows the book on E30 Recaro seats. Most Recaros in 2002s come from E21 cars, though, unless you have the ultra rare 2002 Recaro option seats. The 320 recaro seats, at least my seats, are junque! The internal welds and materials are very weak: i have had mine "fixed" once with no improvement. 325 seats are different- I have the leather sport seats in my 325ic: they are great!I hear they are better made than earlier recaro seats for BMW. Anyway- i had a long talk and picture exchange with Kevin at the website above about Recaro seats and 2002s and E30s, etc. Kevin is in Atlanta. If you are Californai, or near the west coat, Sherman Martinez has a lot of experience and knowledge with Recaro seats and 2002 application. You can search trhe boards for his email. If you are north, Al Larson( aka Al Canuck) is into Recaro seats and 2002 application and recovering, etc. In fact, i am going to have him take a stab at rehabilitating my recalcitrant recaros. If he fails- they get burned in an offering to the horsepower gods. Good luck.