• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition parts recommendations?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Looking for a good set of plug wires/cap rotor etc.

Vendors have Bosch and one marked "Germany".. for about 4X the price...

Any thoughts? my 73 runs terrible in the wet.. bad plug wires are part of the problem. Anyone have a specific recommendation for wet conditions?

Thx.

Guest Anonymous

fae043db.jpg

I bought the 7mm Beru wires from Maximillian. They were about $38, and came with the fancy wire loom. I've been very impressed. On top of that, use Bosch or NGK plugs, Bosch cap and rotor, and ditch the points for a Pertronix. You'll be good to go after that.

Al

Guest Anonymous

Greetings,

Al hit all the high points (or lack of points). Pertronix, the #1 upgrade for your ignition. Only use Bosch cap/rotor, others just don't last, especially bad are the ones with aluminium contacts.

Then if you want to go crazy.. Add an MSD6a... And even crazier, add an MSD adjustable timing control...

Oh, and NGK plugs only, steer clear of those silly platinum bosch plugs, never had good luck with them. NipponDenso plugs will do in a pinch. Make sure what ever plugs you use, make sure and coat the threads with anti-seize, afterall you're screwing a plug with steel threads into an aluminium head!

Good Luck.

BigDog

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

i recommend the Max 8 MM wire set built by Rockford for Max. It comes in a protective hard plastic loom, has correct Beru ceramic ends, and has excellent rubber cap ends for dizzy connection. A tight and deep connectio to the dizzy is really important: i had a bad connection on number 2 from a crappy wire set and it let in moisture and it corroded the entire woire end quickly. The Max wire set is very well made and very reasonable: 38 bucks i think I have extra hold down BMW real deal for valve cover if you need one- i bought a bunch and you can only use 1 the way it is spaced. Have not read al's rec. yet- but i am sure they are right on. I have petronix, MSD6A on both cars( well allison on inka right now) and the only thing better i know of is electromotive ignition /timing control that has a slider in the cockpit so you can advance /retard timing at will! That was in an A4 car I know- very trick set up. Dont forget your tach adapter if you go with MSD. Good luck: also replace your hood rubber - that will help to keep things dry. But operating temps usually dry things out quickly. A Strong battery and tight connections at dizzy and plugs are best protection.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

RED wires for the clear speed advantage of RED stuff.yup: that Max loom is great: do you need the correct BMW metal loom holder? i over ordered from Max : but the 1.5 or 2 inch( found at Marine supply store- harware stores usually have only the 1 inch= too small) inch electric conduit rubber dealy also works well. let me know.