• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Original Carpet Piece for 74- 76 2002 Trunk

MikeG

Anybody have the Original Carpet Piece for Rear Trunk area for 74 or later 2002 in Black/Grey color? Please PM me with what you might have.

Thanks

1974 3.5 CSI {Possibly last car to come to the US}/ Jade Green/ Saddle Leather /Cover Car 1992 Roundel Magazine Numerous Awards/ Owned 35 Years

1973 TII  Matching #,s  Verona Red/Black

On July 19, 2016 at 4:58 PM, MikeG said:

Anybody have the Original Carpet Piece for Rear Trunk area for 74 or later 2002 in Black/Grey color? Please PM me with what you might have.

Thanks

Mike,

There was no original carpet in the trunk of an '02.  None, not even as a dealer accessory.  The two trunk boards were wrapped in gray vinyl and the area between the two wheel wells was covered with a thick gray vinyl often referred to as "elephant skin."  Two narrow side pieces of elephant skin flanked this central area and hid the fuel line.

A gray vinyl trunk mat was a dealer accessory but these are rare as hen's teeth.  I have a duplicate copy, custom-fitted to my '76's trunk, of an original mat that I used for years but which turned brittle as stone.

Aftermarket suppliers are a different story: everyone did, and a few still do, make trunk carpets.  I'd bet that forum user Esty makes super dooper trunk floor carpets.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks Steve

My 1975 2002 Turbo had one.Pretty sure it was an original.I guess maybe it was an option,like you said.I am helping a friend who is the Original owner of a 74 2002.Car got rear ended and she had it fixed.She swears there was one in the car, but Body Shop misplaced it.If I can't find an Original in Charcoal I will probably have Esty make her one.Anybody have a 2002 that came with Factory Trunk Mat? My CS Coupe has One that came on the car new for sure.it matches interior Carpet

1974 3.5 CSI {Possibly last car to come to the US}/ Jade Green/ Saddle Leather /Cover Car 1992 Roundel Magazine Numerous Awards/ Owned 35 Years

19 hours ago, MikeG said:

Thanks Steve

My 1975 2002 Turbo had one.Pretty sure it was an original.I guess maybe it was an option,like you said.I am helping a friend who is the Original owner of a 74 2002.Car got rear ended and she had it fixed.She swears there was one in the car, but Body Shop misplaced it.If I can't find an Original in Charcoal I will probably have Esty make her one.Anybody have a 2002 that came with Factory Trunk Mat? My CS Coupe has One that came on the car new for sure.it matches interior Carpet

Mike,

I honestly don't know about the turbo, with its bi-level trunk, and perhaps it had its own set of dealer accessories.

Below, in the first photo, is the vinyl trunk mat listing from a ca. 1972 U.S. accessories brochure.  In the second photo is the mat I purchased at my local dealer in 1973.  By 2011, however, it had dried up and crumbled to dust.  The mat was simply thick, almost greasy-feeling, gray vinyl with a 1/4" foam rubber backing and cheap edging.  Items sank into the mat and hence didn't slip around -- well, as much.

The trunk mat, however, was never up-dated to fit U.S. square taillight cars (narrower trunk due to crash reinforcements), and by 1976, when I tried to buy a fresh mat for my fresh car, the trunk mat -- which had been available at least as early as '67 -- was already NLA.

And, of course, you're absolutely correct about the big coupes: they had trunk carpets.  But they were in a very different price range!

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

Steve

Thanks for posting that.There is a 02 Turbo on Ebay that has a picture of Trunk.It has the Mat I had in my Turbo and have seen it in Many Turbos.Here is a link to the car with picture of Trunk

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-Turbo-Sedan-2-Door-/222188723180?forcerrptr=true&hash=item33bb7adbec:g:PZMAAOSwaB5XiaDa&item=222188723180

10 hours ago, MikeG said:

Steve

Thanks for posting that.There is a 02 Turbo on Ebay that has a picture of Trunk.It has the Mat I had in my Turbo and have seen it in Many Turbos.Here is a link to the car with picture of Trunk

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-Turbo-Sedan-2-Door-/222188723180?forcerrptr=true&hash=item33bb7adbec:g:PZMAAOSwaB5XiaDa&item=222188723180

Thanks, Mike,

And the carpet even has a nice...patina!  So maybe a turbo-only accessory or option.

Best regards,

Steve

Decades ago my company's office was re-carpeted.  The color was a good match for the '02 interior and I was able to salvage a scrap piece that was big enough to do my trunk and the rear parcel shelf behind the rear seat.  It is sort of an industrial-strength carpet and not suitable for a home.  Perhaps you could find an outlet or a remodeling business with leftover pieces.

1971 Alpina 2002

=00=