• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M20 guys, how did you get it to start!?!?!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've been working on this for months!!! How did you get the damn thing to start?

I have power to ECU pins 18& 37, ground to pins 2, 14, 24, 26, I have power to +15 of coil, I have pin 1 of coil going to pin 1 of the diagnostic connector, I have all spark plugs in, I have the fuel pump going, but nothing!!

What should I do next? I'm seriously starting to have thoughts of putting the M10 back in so that I can at least drive the car...

Guest Anonymous

Was this a post 87/8 engine? Motronic 1.3? Ecu 173?

There were differences in the wiring depending on what year. Yours was an '87 engine, right?

matt

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, it's from an 89 325i.

None of the cooling system is hooked up at all. I just want to see it start for a few seconds. It does have the stock headers attached.

Does starting fluid work even if the spark plugs don't fire? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Guest Anonymous

and assume that everything else is hooked up? I remember there were a few things that I left off the first time (ie, the plug that goes into the AFM), and the car doesn't start without them.

Do you know anyone with an e30 that you can park beside your car and start comparing whats plugged into what? That may be the easiest.

When you crank it, is there power getting the coil?

Matt

Guest Anonymous

how would I tell for sure?

Here's something strange:

When I power up the ECU, it starts buzzing and so does the ICV (idle control valve, aka idle speed actuator). If I unplug the ICV, BOTH the ECU and the ICV stop buzzing.

Hmm.... ?