• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Date stamping after VIN # on i.d. tag....pic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

As can be seen here is this someting the p.o. did? Any other '68 owners here have the same? How about the other years? Interesting as no other of my 1600 or 02's had this/stamped in like an afterthought. best in the new year, -a vin1.JPG

Guest Anonymous

My bristol 68 1600 (1561195-gone but not forgotten - build date of late fall 67)had the same "1968" stamp. I believe the additional stamp was used for US registration/importation/title purposes to distinguish late 1967 from early 1968 1600s, sometime around when the 1600 went to 12v electrics, or other "in production" changes, such as going from the early style steering wheel to the "common push" first style of 3-spoke bus wheel. Does your car have an insert in the owner's manual (dated discussing "technical improvements" such as US lighting and 12v electrics? Does your car have triangular cut-outs in the rear bulkhead directly above the rear shock towers?

Mike Self could probably lend a hand here.

Caribe is a cool color - I've seen two caribe cars with the grey/black two-tone interior.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info...pre '69 1600's are an interesting study. Mine has circular cutouts directly above the shocktower's on the "parcel shelf/pkg. tray"

So the early 1600's have square cutout's? It's great to learn of all these little differance's we need further research for a future faq article ;) Best, -a

Guest Anonymous

They are on the metal behind the seat backrest, not the package shelf. If you pull out the rear seat cushion and backrest on a pre 1968 1600, you'll see two triangular cutouts on the vertical metal surface of the rear bulkhead - look through the cutout toward the rear of the car and you'll see the shock tower nipples. On 1969 1600s, this same cutout is closed - not stamped open by the factory body presses. My theory is that this opening is for a rollcage leg/support to connect to the rear shock tower (maybe a holdover from the 1600ti - factory and privateer racing efforts).

Guest Anonymous

on all the known 1968s I've examined (I tend to look for minutia like that). Dan Erwin's 1660495 has it, and a VIN plate in my garage 1660900 from a derelict I scrounged parts off of years ago has to too. My very early second series '69 does not have the year stamp, nor do any of the first series (pre 1664760) cars I've seen.

As for the trunk bulkhead cutouts on the 68 and earlier cars, I believe that Scott and Fran Hughes' six volt '67 has those cutouts also--and it was built before the 1600ti came out. I have no idea what they were for, and would seem to allow gas fumes to enter into the passenger compartment...

Another '02 mystery.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I have a 68 1600 in here for restoration and it has the 1968 stamped on it. My own "streetfighter" also has it. Both cars are Granada 68 1600-2 sunroofs. I have only seen the cutouts on 67 cars. Merry Christmas!