• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hose from Resevoir or Resevoir itself, source of brake fluid

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I noticed that the front rubber brake line is saturated with brake fluid. Just replace the hose or should I expect to see a resevoir that requires replacement? I believe this is pretty recent but can't help but think about my frame rail. Is there a way of cleaning it out of any possible brake fluid. This is on a '73, 4 speed.

Guest Anonymous

I thought my leak was from old grommets. After replacement, I found a small crack in one of the plastic elbows that goes to the hose.

You can pressure test the tank easy enough. Just pull it off, clean it out REALLY good, and then cap off each hose connection and see if there are any leaks. The LOW tech/fast method is to wet your fingers, cover the holes, and blow into(or suck) the resv. to see if you have any leaks.

The hoses to the tank are press fit and should not require any clamps.

Guest Anonymous

the plastic elbow-nipples crack and the grommets that are set into the M/C go bad; I'd replace 'em all--they're cheap. The consequences of a brake fluid leak in that area will be a rusted out frame rail under the driver's seat. Exactly what happened to my '69...and a PITA to fix.

Mike