• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Victor Here ... '76 Burned parts

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi gang,

I was away from office so I'm catching up on my messages. As you know last Friday Harry kindly posted on the board the sad news on my '76 project. I really appreciate the kind thoughts and wishes from all of you ... this is a truly supportive community!!

Good News:

The car was not totalled. Only the hood, fenders, and both doors were burned since these were removed from the car for painting.

The not so good news:

1) The doors had a nice set of beige door panels with no speaker holes.

2) The insurance will only come up with $700 for the damages and they keep the car. (I have decided not to accept this ridiculous offer). My car has a very high sentimental value to let it go for this price.

3) These parts are very hard to come by in good used condition here in "Rusty-land" Puerto Rico. (Still searching though).

4) The paint shop threw away the damaged parts. (Can't assess if they were salvageable).

In case I have to import these parts from the US, my friend Harry offered to help me with the "Boat" shipment logistics. To make things safer and easier, all the parts would have to be shipped in a "D" Container.

Well gang, once again I appreciate the support and kind thoughts.

Have no doubt, I will have my Schwarz '76 up and running - I'm not going to give up!

Take care all!

Guest Anonymous

and their insturance company...

1. Those parts weren't theirs to throw away; they were yours. They owe you either your old parts or "like value" replacements.

2. You don't have to accept their insurance co's offer; it's not a "take it or leave it" proposition; have an independent appriaser give you a value of your car before and after the fire. After all, it was their fault, not yours; they have to make good with you.

Don't roll over and play dead on this one; you should be "made whole" by either the body shop or their insurance company. Can you get your insurance co involved? This sounds like a comprehensive claim to me...

Cheers, good luck and keep us posted.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

If you delivered your car to the body shop, and agreed upon work to be done and a price, then it is THEIR responsibility to complete the work and return the car to you as agreed.

The fact that they had a fire and your car was damaged is of no concern to you. THEY need to make it right. It is between them and their insurance company. Your only involvement should be regarding the delay and loss of use for your vehicle.

Yes, I would work CLOSELY with the shop to determine things are done correctly. I would even provide them sources for parts so you are sure of getting good quality. The only extent I would involve your insurance company is to put pressure on the other company to make things right. My agent has done this for me in the past. Makes things go very smooth with the "other" company when you get your agent talking to the other district manager.

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

Like Mike says, don't roll over. From experience dealing with insurance companies when it wasn't my fault, I've learned to be pretty damn firm in telling them that it's their responsibility to fix it the way I want it, to my satisfaction. If they can't do that, it's only going to cost them even more money.

And don't forget to remind them that it wasn't your fault, so there is no goddamn reason why you should have to suffer.

DON'T be nice with them. Make it very clear what you expect and when, and don't let them off the hook. If they screw up, let the local authorities/better business bureau know (or whatever you have in PR).

vince

Naperville, IL