• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump problems

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK, I am now stumped! When working on the 2002 about a month ago, it was idling in front of my house and the fuel pump quit. It also got somewhat hot. All my attempts at unfreezing it failed, and so I started looking for a new one. It is a Bosch high pressure main pump off of a 318i. I found a new fuel pump at the wrecking yard, and this time mounted it under the car above the halfshaft. The new fuel pump sounded quiet, but produced so much more pressure than the old one that the lines started to leak. I replaced all the lines with 250 psi fuel line like I should have done in the first place, and I thought all was good. The new fuel pump just seized up tonight. I have less than 1 mile on it, less than one hour of running time. I took the first one apart to see what could be seizing it, and found nothing, other than it turned more easily when I had it in a certain position. No where is it marked on the pump that it must be installed in this position, but it looks like it would be the same way it came out of the car. The first fuel pump had at least 10k miles on it. Anyone know what is going on, have a suggestion for a replacement pump, or know what the heck I am even talking about!?

Thanks!

Jeff C.

70 Granada 2002 sunroof, Megasquirt EFI project.

66 Turf 2000a project driver.

Guest Anonymous

Are you sure your pre-pump in the tank is working. If there is not enough fuel moving through the pump, it will bet too hot. It needs the fuel to cool it. If your pre-pump is not working, it could be that you have good pressure but your volume is not what it sould be.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)