• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tool to Remove Diff Plug?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me the size of the special socket (and what kind - Torx?) needed to fit the drain and fill bolts on the rear diff on a '76 02?

Thanks in advance - want to change the diff fluid today, but don't have the right socket to fit that recessed plug.

Gavin

Guest Anonymous

If memory serves me. it's just a 10mm recessed hex, meaning you want an Allen key, or a socket that has a 10mm hex sticking out of it. If you want to go the creative route, a 10mm bolt with some nuts on it can be used---put the bolt head in the recess, apply a wrench to the nuts 9jam them together first).

Mike

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00942679000

You will have to look at yours to be certain, but the usual drain & fill plugs have a 10 mm in-hex.

The normal tool to work with these is a 10 mm Hex Bit, check the link for a Craftsmen example.

Don't forget to loosen the FILL plug before the drain.

You don't want to drain the fluid and then find you can't open the filler.

Don't forget the new crush washers for both plugs. They are the same ones as used on the oil pan drain, and only cost $0.07 each.

07 11 9 963 355 (A22x27 crush washer)

Guest Anonymous

I am guessing is 17, but you can make your own

with an old wrench and a nut (assuming you have

access to a welder). Worst scenario, take a bolt to

fit in the hole and turn it with a pipe wrench (never

tried it except in my imagination). The same

concept works for the tranny.

Good luck

Michael

Guest Anonymous

head and 2 nuts locked against each other to remove the plugs. This ain't the best, but it works. For the future, most of the usual sources have 17mm hex bit sockets. (The 10mm refered to below are for the newer cars).

Guest Anonymous

I'm using a 17mm for the trans fill/drain plugs, but it isn't the same size for the diff. It's a '76.

So, is the concensus that it's a 10mm Hex for the diff plugs?

Thanks again, guys!

Gavin

Guest Anonymous

410_diff.jpg

The previous answer I gave suggested it was likely to be the 10 mm in-hex.

This was based on my experience with the two 1976 cars I presently own (plus I have several spares with the same.)

Of course, no one could say for sure what size is on your car without more info, and that's why I cautioned you to check yours before you buy the tool. The tool is not expensive, and well worth owning. Unlike the side of the tranny, there is ample room on the diff to use a hex bit on a ratchet.

Now that you report the hex size is smaller than the 17 mm tranny plugs, I have more confidence that a 10 mm hex bit is the correct tool to use.

Most of the 17 mm plugs (like those found on the tranny) are tapered thread, and don't use the sealing crush washer like the diff plugs we are discussing here. You can just barely see the crush washer in place on the fill plug in the picture above. Both the plug and the hole surround have machined flats for the seal washer.