• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear defroster problems

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I live in a cold area and my rear defroster is not working this winter on my '76 2002. I've looked through both of my repair manuals and can't find a thing about it. I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight on where to start checking for problems as the only way I can get my window to defrost is to keep my window open, and that's not fun in 10 degree weather. Thanks in advance.

Guest Anonymous

It doesn't take much to break the flow of electricity through those thin painted on elements. JC Whitney has a repair kit for this for around $10. It's tedious, (picture: painting a house with nail polish upside down), but works well if you follow the simple instructions. Check all of the notorious points first: fuse box, clean all electrical contacts with emery paper, etc.

HTH

-s

Guest Anonymous

Get into a warm area check for open grid lines on the window it`s self. If there are any open areas on the grid find some conductive material to close the open circuit. With power off! Use ohmmeter to determine if there is continuity between both male spades of the rear def window. If there is continuity, check switch, and all grounds. There is one ground that is on the right rear bulkhead off the right rear male plug. FYI.

Guest Anonymous

How does one turn on the rear defrost? My 72's dash is

faded on all the instrument labeling - it's been trial and error.

The rear defrost is the last function I haven't figured out how

to turn on.

Guest Anonymous

switch is the fourth heater lever, then the defroster knob is the lower left side one on the instrument binnacle. They switched from 3 to 4 lever heater controls sometime in 1972, I think.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Sometimes one or a few grid lines don't work because they were scratched. Repair those breaks with the paint on stuff the other folks mentioned. It's also common for most or all of the lines to be deteriorated to nothing by age, sun, and overuse. In that case, the only repair is a new piece of glass. Email me for testing instructions.