• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update on Victor's car

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just spoke to Victor. He went to see the car and it is not as bad as we thought. The body shop had removed the hood, the fenders and the doors and that was what burned up.BTW, the car had NOT been painted yet, I thought it had.

Unfortunately, the shop's insurance only offered Victor $700 and they got to keep the rest of the car. As an alternative, the shop owner offered Victor to buy a car he had seen for $1000. He is closing down the shop for good and will not fix either car for Victor.

He has decided to go ahead and save the car and is looking for doors, a hood and fenders. We are going to check locally to see what we can find.

Thanks for your solidarity with our good friend Victor,

Harry

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

what is wrong with the hood, fenders and doors,

beside paint burned, couldn't they be salvaged by

sandblasting and repaint. this may be a stupid

question as I haven't seen pictures.

Too bad shipping is expensive to PR. I have a 76

parts car that I don't want and selling for $350

Michael

Guest Anonymous

i know that when i lived in the USVI, we used to put heavy stuff on boat shoipping- takes forever, it seems, but cost is lot less than by air. sfo could be good port- eventually ending up in san juan. just an idea- if the parts down there are totalled. wonder how much to put a rollling shell in a container. well- hope voctor is bearing up , and finding a low cost lawyer to proceed against the shop's insurance co, or the shop too. someone has some assets to compensate him correctly- i hope.

Guest Anonymous

because Victor and I were talking about that a while ago.

Luckily, that is my line of work (I am the local mgr for acompany based in AL) and I can get rock-bottom rates if Victor needs to bring body parts from the US as long as it's from our service area (unfortunately it spans the southeastern US only). I can ask one of my competitors covering the entire US for rates from CA and will probably get good ones too!

Bringing a whole car is more complicated, but Michael's car might be a feasible alternative if he can work out a deal with someone needing and willing to take the rest of the car.

The important thing would be to package everything securely so that it survives the long trip halfway around the northern hemisphere.

Oops. Got carried away with the rambling....