• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Braking Issues

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I grabbed the following text from BMW2002.UK..

It has come to my attention that there is a major shortage of brake servos in the World. My Tii has recently required reconditioned servos & nobody seems to have any. I phoned Wallothnesch in Germany only to be told there were none there & they also knew that there was none to be found in Australia & the Far East, Jaymic in the UK don’t know when they are going to get anymore either. There’s loads lying around various breakers etc. but they rot inside if not stored properly so they are effectively useless. If BMW ever remakes them they are likely to cost four figures for a pair, which of course could out-weigh the value of the car for which they are required. This is bad news as it could false a lot of runabouts off the road & be only be suitable for breaking when only the servos need replacing. The German cars have a single servo, but all UK cars had to have dual-system for safety reasons. Maybe its time to upgrade the braking system with a more modern answer.

I am in this boat.. my master cylinder is stuffed my servos dont go, braking is uneven and barley works.. It needs a comlpete overhaul..

Is there any easy answer.. Can I take parts from more modern bmws.. With new Zealands climate and roads cars dont last much past 20 years.. So E21's are hard to find.. E30s are getting wrecked by the truck load now..

any ideas?

Guest Anonymous

bs1010.jpg

URL: http://www.mpbrakes.com/bs1010k.htm

There are a lot of cars much older and more rare than the 2002 that manage to survive despite obsolescence of parts. For example, it's possible to get vacuum servos rebuilt for 1940's-1950's American cars that were produced in much lower numbers than 2002s.

The problem with 2002 servos is that they were meant to be replaced rather than repaired; they _can_ be repaired, but it requires proper equipment.

It sounds like a good time for someone to approach commercial specialty rebuilders and ask for quotes.

If you want to go with new parts, personally I think a 2200lb car doesn't need power brakes. I'm reworking my system without the brake booster.

On the other hand, the traditional street rod market offers remote 'universal' boosters for use in custom cars. See the link to Master Power Brakes.

I don't know about RHD E30's, but they probably didn't have a remote setup.

Mike