• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT - Questions about E30 325i - Need Help quick!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am looking at buying a '87 E30 325i and I have a few questions and roadfly will not let me post so if you know anythinkg about E30's please help me out.

1. How hard it is to replace the timing belt?

2. How much would it cost to have the belt replaced if I took it too a shop?

3. How hard is it to replace the ciruit board behind the dash, the one that controls the tach and water temp guage?

4. Why does the tach show redline at 4500rpm and only reads up to 5000rpm? Is it possible this tach came from a deisle BMW and caused the short in the ciruit board?

Thanks for your help,

Leif Bronn

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi?file=articles&report=view&ID=00119&Section=08

A 4500rpm redline would be for a 325e. This was the fuel efficient version of the e30. It has tons of torque, but less horsepower than a 325i. Take another look at the car and see if it is an "e". A 325i will accelerate evenly up to 4000rpm and then put you back in your seat up to 6500rpm redline. A 325e will rev limit between 4500 and 5000rpm.

As for the timing belt see the article at the "BEN" website...http://www.bmwe30.net/

great write-up on step by step procedure.

I don't know what a shop would charge for a timing belt, or how hard to do circuit board.

If the car is an "e", you should expect to pay less than an "i".

Hope that helps.

G

Guest Anonymous

1. Replacing the belt depends on how mechanically inclined you are. It is a medium to hard job. It's very cramped to work in there. I usually take out the radiator, some don't. If you've never done one I would have a pro do it.

2. Cost varies per area. The lowest I've seen is around $210 dollars, the highest is closer to $500 for fancy dealer type shops. I have paid around $240 in the past for parts and labor and this includes a water pump which is highly recommended to be done at the same time.

3. The circuit board is called the SI board and they are not difficult to change at all. Most of the time the battery is bad and although direct replacements are not available there are many workarounds. check out www.bmwe30.net ("the ben") as there are good articles on alternative batteries to use and how to take it apart.

4. 5000rpm tach is indicative of an ETA, but make sure that it wasn't just swapped out with the wrong cluster. How to tell and I from an E? A few simple things. A.) and I had dual exhaust and E has single B.) an E has an idle control valve right over the intake manifold where an I does not C.) check the engine displacement stickers - and E is 2.7 and an I is 2.5 D.) check the door jams to see if it is a 325/325A versus 325i.

there are more ways to tell.... let us know.

Guest Anonymous

Just a major service. Do-able in one day. Just pull the radiator and give it a good cleaning. You should have plenty of room. Good time to replace the hoses, water pump and t-stat. The Bentley book is good for this procedure. As for the special tools, go to your LBS (local bike shop) and get a 32mm headset wrench. This is for the REVERSE threaded fan clutch. For the holder, I just use a strap wrench or a big channel lock. When you have the fan/clutch off, store it in the upright position. Do not leave it lying down.

The SII board is fairly easy too. Just a matter of soldering in two good AA nicad batteries.

E30s are a joy to work on compaed to a 98 Audi!

Guest Anonymous

read years ago that the bolt head "could" have a problem of snapping off and doing damage to the head cracking the casting and causing coolant to leak..into the oil. So I just replaced them for piece of mind, cost like $40 for a set.