• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is using LED tail lights?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have been looking around at LED units for 1156 replacements. I've found a few sites with good prices, but I'm not sure what size to get, how many LEDs? Anyone have any pictures?

I'm really hoping these will solve the low light problem, along with the chrome spray painted housings.

Guest Anonymous

you might be surprised how a little cleaning and re-grounding can boost the bulb's brightness. Also, make sure you don't make your tail lights brighter than your brake lights. You'll get rear-ended for sure...and look what happened to the girl on the motorcycle (see post below)...a cop pulled her over:-0

Mike

Guest Anonymous

same way normal incandescent bulbs do.

When installed in a taillight housing, LED replacement bulbs that have a dozen or so LEDs clustered on a bayonette base effectively send light ONLY straight out through the lens - not to the side or rear, so virtually no light bounces off the reflector.

About the only way to illuminate your whole tail or brake light segment using LEDs would be to build a circuit board in the shape of the whole light segment and cover it with a large number of closely packed LEDs - not impossible to do, but definately a different deal than using a standard replacement bulb.

Guest Anonymous

in a fit of crackheadedness, I drilled a bunch of holes in a spare set of housings, epoxied short tubes in, and siliconed LEDs into the tubes. And left the incandescents as well.

Now it's a lot brighter, 'pops' on to catch your attention, and also has a bit of warmth after the lamp filament kicks in. Plus, the blinkers function normally. The LED's draw about 80mA or so, so there's no danger of overloading anything.

But I did 'destroy' a set of housings to do it.

t

Guest Anonymous

4-7908023.JPG

I have the LED reverse lights and as Barry said the pattern is focused "straight" instead of at a wide angle. They do look nice though and seem to make a slight difference on battery/alternater draw when used. I wouldnt spend more than $6 for a set of two, not worth it.