• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper Mechanism trivia (who "really" knows how the

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello to my '02 friends,

Ok, here's the deal....my current restoration "Hugo" has hit a snag....until I get these blasted wiper mechanisms to fit properly, the heater box can't go in; the dash can't go back in until the heater box is installed (my prference), and the windshiled can't got back in until the dash is re-installed.

I have 3 wiper mechanisms...long story....but apparently the original mechanism was damaged ever so slightly in the wreck (I found Hugo wrecked for those who don't know already)...the cowling was slightly dented and the pass side wiper stud was damaged...there was also some slight deformation of the sheet metal at the opening on the cowling for the wiper arm stud attachment. So I replaced the stud on the pass end of the mechanism, painted everything up "perfect", and installed the mechanism.

It "rubs" on the underside of the cowling above the motor. So, I installed an old second mechanism...and it was not perfect "clearance-wise" but it cleared.

So, Hugo must have some slight misalignment of the sheet metal (at the hole on the pass side is my bet from visual inspection), plus the original mechanism must be bent a wee bit.

I plan to rework the 3rd mechanism I just bought off ebay, but one of the studded end pieces "turns freely", while the other one is fixed.

It would seem to me that turning freely would NOT be a good thing because once installed "with the wiper arms & blades in place"...the arm would not turn on the side of the free turning studded end piece...does anyone follow this?

Surely someone has been through this before...any help appreciated. I DO NOT want to clean and paint a second mechanism and reinstall all the other parts only to find out later that the wipers don't swing back and forth as intended.

TIA for any input on this,

John

'72tii "Hugo"