• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber IDF & ICH carbs....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

After bidding on errrBay for what was allegedly advertised as a weber 38/38 DCOE, I was e-mailed by the seller as he was informed somehow that the carb is weber 44 IDF. To me, the carb looks just like a 32/36 or 38/38 DCOE from the pictures. Is it possible to use the IDF carbs as the the 34 ICH's are usable on an 02?

TIA

Guest Anonymous

Ummm...the dcoe's are sidedrafts, the IDF is a downdraft. Big difference there. You can probably use a 44/44 IDF downdraft, though the usual downdrafts for the 2002 are the progressive 32/36 DGV and 38/38 or 40/40 DGAS non-progressive types. The FAQ store sells the 48 IDA, which is similar to the 44 IDF, I believe, but I don't know if it would hook up to a 2002 2-bbl manifold.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

DCOE carbs are side draft. DGEV/DGAV are downdraft carbs.

There was no 38 DCOE carb. My guess is that you refer to a 38/38 DGV serie, which was also available as a 40/40.

The 44 IDF certainly did not come from a 2002 and therefore was not jetted for a 2002. How much trouble are you willing to take over, trying to physically fit the carb and then jet it?

Just my 02 cents worth of wisdom.

Guest Anonymous

It was a type O..with a big O. I know for a fact the the 38/38 is a down draft carb.. but this image from the 44IDF is almost simillar as the 38/38, I was just wondering if it was worth going for it, assuming it has the basic characterstics of the other webers that fit a double barrel 02 manifold.

TIA

Guest Anonymous

Depending on which car it came from, you will have to rejet it to fit your application. perfect time to buy a book on Webers and learn how they work.

Guest Anonymous

Well one of my buddies in high school had this killer VW bug and it ran 48 IDF's. Fricking was a monster with him at the wheel.

Anyways the IDA is the racing version of the IDF at least in regards to the 48mm versions. They have different accelerator pumps. The IDA has a piston type pump while the IDF uses a diaphram pump. There are also differences in the progression circuits.

The IDA's have better off idle transition and supposedly are easier to drive on the street. Supposedly the IDF's flow better and are made for wide open throttle racing.

As for the 44's I don't really know. Try some VW websites as these are fairly common carbs with the VW guys.

I'd seriously try to get a 38/38...then at least you know the ballpark jetting works and have others that have that carb on a 02.

-Bernard