• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JB weld question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone had alot of hands on experience with jb weld? I'm wondering if it'll hold two halves of an intake manifold together (don't ask how I got there...). JB says its good to 500 degrees and some thousand+ sheer psi strength. Think it'll hold?

Guest Anonymous

unless there's a bolt going right thru it-like, you broke off a corner of the carb mount. Even then, it'll probably hold.

Modern epoxies rock. oooh, good band name, that.

t

Guest Anonymous

inlet pipe into the muffler. It's been a month now and the J-B appears to be doing the job. It seems somewhat less effective in situations incuring vibration, but it might work on the manifold. I've had even better luck with Marine Tex, a heavy-duty structural epoxy. It's original use was to repair cracked blocks on marine engines when you're 800 miles (+/-) at sea. You should be able to find it @ any boat store, on on line. It comes in grey or black and can be drilled, threaded, sanded, filed, and painted.

Guest Anonymous

Shear strength of cast aluminum is around 20,000 psi. If JB Weld is used in a low stress situation, it will last just about forever. Our manifolds see a lot of vibration, you should brace it somehow if you want your carberator to stay on the engine.

Secret to good bond strength is surface prep and getting the bondline thickness right. Too thin, won't survive humidity. Too thick, loses strength.

JB Weld has been used on car and motorcycle engines a lot. I sealed some porosity in a motorcycle head with it, and sealed a mc gas tank. It was still holding fine several years later. These were both low stress situations.

--Jerry

Guest Anonymous

I repaired a headlight dimmer switch with JB Weld. The nylon block that the stalk mounts into had cracked. The repair lasted about a year before it started coming loose again.

--Jerry

Guest Anonymous

Marine-Tex is also used by military armorers to bed actions in sniper rifles. If it can stand up to repeated recoil from 7.62x51 over a relatively small surface area, it should hold up in just about any automotive application if used properly.