• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever had trouble with the wiper mechanism rubbing

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

the underside of the windshield cowling? On Hugo (once installed) the wiper mechanism (with motor), where the arms pop onto the bracket pivot, just touches the cowling. This is "not" normal as my other cars don't do this...there should be about an inch clearance I believe.

Since Hugo was wrecked I fear something is out of whack body alignment-wise, but everything else appears to be within spec, and things look straight. So, I'm wondering if some cars might have a lesser tolerance in this area. I have a spare mechanism and it looks to be identical to the original one, although I haven't tried to install it yet to see if it has more clearance than Hugo's original mechanism.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John

'72tii "Hugo"

Guest Anonymous

John,

are you sure you installed the wiper motor assembly properly? It just sounds (if I understand you correctly) like you may have to re-position the wiper motor and arms on it.

How far does it go up when it wipes?

Does it kind of go up half way?

Guest Anonymous

Hi Mars!

<>

I think so.....I will check the '73tii for similar positioning.

<

Does it kind of go up half way? >>

It's sort of difficult because there is no power yet....they can't move.

I thought the same thing, about my reinstalling it wrong..because I "did" replace one of the stud end pieces that the wiper assembly attaches to (pass side)...the original one was slightly bent over from the accident. The hole in the cowling was not round either (from distortion of the collision no doubt)...but I got it to work ok...I'm thinking the cowling may be out of wack a wee bit causing the closeness of the arms to the sheet metal...maybe I will try bending things slightly (the arms)...a trial and error proposition looks like.

Take Care,

John