• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mirror problem

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The driver side mirror on my 1974 2002 does a slow fold whenever I drive over 50 mph. Otherwise the mirror is perfect. Can this problem be fixed or is there a good source for aftermarket or working used? Thanks in advance for any help.

Guest Anonymous

1. New ones are available from the usual sources (LaJolla Independent, 2002AD, etc.)>

2. Put a Want to Buy (WTB) ad on this sites For Sale page.

3. Or, drive under 50 mph all the time.

Guest Anonymous

Go to a pick-n-pull and pull a driver's and passenger mirror from an early 320i, they're the same.

Perhaps you can tighten the bolt that holds the mirror section to the base plate. You'll need to remove the mirror to do this.

Guest Anonymous

Otherwise, to use the quote from "the gumball rally",

"The first rule in Italian(or 2002) driving is, Whatsa behind me isa not important".

Guest Anonymous

1. Locate tongue on the black vinyl base gasket--it faces towards the rear of the car. Pry tongue outwards at the top with a small screwdriver to expose the set screw underneath.

2. Unscrew set screw while holding mirror so it won't fall off.

3. Remove mirror, turn upside down and tighten the only nut you'll see until the mirror doesn't flop, but can still be moved for adjustment purposes. While you have the mirror off, visit the hardware store and buy a stainless steel Allen head set screw (and matching wrench) to replace the slotted one. They rust and get techy to remove.

4. Reinstall mirror; make sure you tighten the set screw so it won't work loose from vibration.

Cheers

Mike