• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT, help with Honda hesitation problems

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

my '92 Civic ex(automatic) has recently developed severe hesitation/stumbling problems from idle up to 3K RPM. It also likes to stall at stoplights. I've changed 02 sensor, MAP sensor, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. My next thought is the Throttle Position Sensor. Has anyone ever had a problem like this?

Guest Anonymous

snow1.jpg

I saw that car at the junkyard! (though I didn't see any non-wrecked Hondas (or BMW's for that matter (what, you got a problem with nested parentheticals?!)))

-Matt

'90 Civic Si (smokes coming off idle)

'73 2002 (smokes like it's waiting for results)

Guest Anonymous

the ignition switches in those vehicles are failing in droves. It's not uncommon for one to experience the symptoms you describe as the switch deteriorates. Try turning the key forward slightly (not so far as to engage the starter) as the problem occurs and see what happens.

Guest Anonymous

First thought is a vacuum leaks of some kind, but those early Hondas have HUGE problems with the coil packs in the distributor. Usually they just go completely out and the car won't run (won't start), but I thought I'd mention it just in case they fail differently.

Dan