• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Heat

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I bought my car with no working heater, and the heater core bypassed. I got the heater blower working and connected the core hoses, the fan blows like a $5 hooker, but still no heat. The heater valve seems to still be connected when operated at the dash, but nothing after it runs for awhile. Any ideals from you geniuses out there. Is the heater valve still the culprit?

Thanks, AL

Guest Anonymous

once the car is warmed up fully see if both the inpet and outlet hoses are warm, inlet on exhaust side, outlet on the instake side, could be the core is plugged up if not. You can manually confirm the heater valve is open by reaching down on the right side/exhaust side of the car where the fresh air intake for the heater is and there is an arm on the backside of the valve. If you can have someone operate the dash control while up are holding the arm to see if it is really moving, otherwise move it yourself, open all the way. You fully bypass this too, but then are at the mercy of only the heater flaps to shut off the heat. I take it with the fan running you can operate the dampers and feel air rushing out the bottom or top. Controls on the right side of the steering wheel are the dampers, in is off, towards outside of car is fully open. If you get into removing hoses to and from heater you will want to back flush back and forth a few times. OK and one more item the rubber seals all around the fresh air opening should be good, or at least not missing. I get nice heat while driving down the hwy without the fan on.

Guest Anonymous

if the heater valve is the later (big) style

it's possible for the actuating arm to strip- it's plastic. Then the arm moves, but the valve doesn't operate. The hoses not heating would be an indicator of this.

It's a lot easier to check the valve than replace the core!

hth,

toby

Guest Anonymous

does that indicate the heater core is plugged?

DOes a plugged heater core allow coolant flow but not enough to warm the air? Can a core be non-functional but still pass plenty of hot coolant thru it? Or does a plugged core simple not let any coolant thru?

I had heat all the time, replaced the valve, now I can't get any heat. Haven't had time to fool with it. Maybe later this week.