• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Still Won't Start

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

It ran rough. I cleaned up all the primary connections and got a great improvement. I swapped carbs, Weber DEV out Weber DGAV in. Started and ran. Turned off and left overnight. Battery was very weak and when I tried to start the next day I got about 1 turn and it failed completely. I have a garage battery I keep charged and I jumped it from that. Turn and turned but no fire.

I've been messing with this thing for about two weeks since, and It hasn't fired once. I bought a new Interstate battery. Now it turns over fine, I have spark, timing is not perfect but set static at about TDC, gas is fresh and there is gas in the carb bowl, and the fuel pump works.

I've swapped in the SOlex that I had just removed - it ran on the Solex but the throttle shaft was worn - I consider it a known good carb. Still no fire. I installed a Pertronix and an Accel coil. Wires and plugs are new.

Nothing. No fire.

I've turned it over while holding a spark plug against the block - there is definitely good hot spark. I've shot ether into the carb with the throttle open to be certain it is in place. Nothing.

When I pull the plugs they are wet. Does this indicate flooding?

I'm charging the battery back up now. Waiting to have another go at it.

Any suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

see if you have any vaccum problems. Maybe on the carb. I had the dipstick bracket removed and I suffered a lot trying to start the car while it has a vaccum leak. what a about a simple misconfiguration of spark plug wires ? you might have overseen that to...take your time and do it.

Guest Anonymous

starting aid. Spray some down the throat of the carb.

If you're getting _any_ sort of a spark, it will allow you to get your engine to start.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

John, I've already emptied one can of ether. I'm going to work on the theory that it is flooding. If it has so much fuel that a combustible mixture can't form, a spark won't help.

Time to look for what might be disrupting the normal flows of fuel and air.

Guest Anonymous

Your plugs may be new, but they were wet.. I'd bet they got too wet to start (even if you try to "dry" them).

Plugs are cheap, I'd suggest installing a fresh set. I've seen it do the trick in situations like yours.

If you normally run a slightly colder plug, like a W7DC, put in a set of W8DC instead. These will be a bit harder to foul while you are sorting out any other tuning issues.

Guest Anonymous

Aside form the other good advice on the electricals, if you have the Solex on, look down its throat and open the throttle valve. (I guess the Weber is side draft so that wouldn't be possible?) If you see a pool of gas in bottom of the manifold you are Flooded. About the most sure thing to do is remove the throttle return spring and block open the throttle and let the gas evaporate away (you can even speed it up by using a hair dryer to shoot warm air down the throat of the carb). Do this overnight while you also charge the battery. Next day, replace the spring, closing the valve, and depending on the temp make sure the choke is partially closed approriately to the conditions. Then try and see if it won't fire. My experience is that once you have flooded the intake manifold it will be almost impossible to start until you get all that puddled gas to evaporate.

Roland

Guest Anonymous

Pull the plugs and let it sit for a while with the carb butterfly propped open (shove a screwdriver in there).

Try again.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

I was wondering about the plugs. Even when wet I could get them to spark. Too late to get a new set tonight. A couple of weeks ago I bought a set of Delcos and then found that the cap would not come off the connector end!

I'm using NGK BPR8. The only thing the local Pep Boys has in Bosch is platinum. I have never heard anything good about Bosch platinum in a BMW. I have to order Silber from Steve d'Gerolamo for my 5er.

Left the plugs out for a couple of hours while I ran an errand. Came back and tried to start. It fired a couple of times, stumbled and died. Back to no start. :-(

New plugs in the morning.

Guest Anonymous

It's definitely flooding. See above.

Pulled the carb - I'm putting the Weber back in. Pulled the plugs. Ran rubber hose down the intake runners and blew compressed air through. I'm leaving it over night. It *will* be dry.

Going to NAPA in the morning for some new NGKs.

Guest Anonymous

In the vacuum leak department...is carb good and tight on the manifold? And is the vacuum advance capsule on the dizzy OK? To check the latter, pull vac hose from carb, pop off dizzy cap and suck on the hose. You should feel resistance and see the point plate move slightly. No resistance/movement=a torn diaphragm in the vacuum capsule. I know it will upset your idle (from experience), and it may be just enough of a vacuum leak to cause upset the fuel air ratio when trying to start. Worth a quick check anyway...

Good luck, and tell us what you find.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

93.jpg

That number you gave is for the wrong plug.

It is a resistor plug (which the 02 ignition does not want.)

And, it is two heat ranges colder than a normal cool plug!

No wonder they are hard to light up while your fuel mix is off a bit !

Like John N. said, if you get NGK try BP5ES or BP6ES.

Or in Bosch Super, the equivalents are W8DC or W7DC.