• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 2002 Backfiring

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello, We have a 1970 2002 here in Canada, it's been hauled over from europe by previous owner..

The car is in "restore me" condition, but has been running okay (after replacing the driveshaft, slave cylinder and getting new headlights) ..

but recently it started backfiring, pretty badly - almost always during a shift. Does anyone know what could cause this and how to fix it?

Also, the peices that hold the headlights in place (the backings) are in pretty rough shape, does anyone know where to get replacements - either for just the backing, or the whole unit - or is there another way to align the headlights? we can't get the lights lined up properly at all..

Guest Anonymous

is combution making it way back through the top of the carb? or is it more like a popping noise in the exhaust area - i know that i used to confuse the two symptoms - if it is popping it may be an exhaust leak or could be attributed to an improper fuel/air mixture

like Al said - more info would be better

good luck

bob

Guest Anonymous

i am sure i have a set sitting around - i also just saw this ad @ www.bimmers.com - click on "The 02 Page" - then click on the "for sale" section - parts - currently second listing

bob

Guest Anonymous

Yup, B.C. - Vancouver Island

I'm afraid I don't know much about carburators, a carburated engine is completely new to me - but it's a big round one with a big round filter on top of the engine :)

Guest Anonymous

Well i know there _is_ an exhaust leak which is going to be fixed soon (seal worn out on the manifold) but the backfiring started recently, and the exhaust leak has been there longer - the backfiring is very loud, although there is some poping from ehxaust leakage, the backfiring is easy to distinguish beause it makes you jump

the air filter is completely clogged, we have ordered a new one already and should be able to pick it up on monday...